Why Harrisons you may ask? Chef Peter Storey has no relation to either of the Harrison gentlemen but wanted to name the restaurant after something local and important to the area. After some research and digging around two names kept appearing, John and Ken Harrison.
Lets start with John, the more notable of the two (no disrespect to Ken). John Harrison was a world renown clock maker. Born in 1693 near Wakefield, the son of a carpenter, John Harrison moved to Barrow-upon-Humber at the age of around 7. He would work as a carpenter and joiner for his father whilst working on clocks in his spare time.
He would later go on to work on various clocks with groundbreaking tequchines, it was at this time that the problem of longitude had become more important to solve. John Harrison was determined to build a clock that would work at sea.
The problem with clocks at sea at that time was that the traditional pendulum would not work accurately whilst at sea due to the swaying motion of the boat. John Harrison's first prototype was named H1 and worked using a 'grasshopper escapement'
Eventually after many protoypes and many sea trials it was Harrisons H4 pocket watch that was to be the most accurate to that day. On an 8 day voyage to Jamaica it lost around 30 seconds. This wasnt initially deemed accurate enough for the board of the Longitude Act 1714 and Harrison wasn't paid the £20,000 prize money (about £2mil in todays money). Eventually through parliment Harrison was paid £5,000 and the family recived the rest of the money after John's death in 1976.
John Harrison's tomb is in the grounds of St John at Hampstead in London, he also has a memorial plaque inside Westminster Abbey. More recently John Harrison was known by many as the man who built the missing watch that was found by Del-Boy & Rodney in the famous episode of Only Fools & Horses when they eventually became millionaires!
Ken Harrison still lives in Barton and has dined on numberous occasions with us. Ken was the pencil behind Desperate Dan in The Dandy for over 20 years. Born in 1940 was an artist at DC Thomson, the publishing house behind , amongst others, The Dandy and The Beano.
Ken drew Robbie Rebel, Big Brad Wolf and Lord Snooty for The Beano, The Hootlink title Squad for Hoot (later reprinted as The Beano's The Riot Squad), The Broons and Oor Wullie for The Sunday Post, Skookum Skool, Spookum Skool and The Snookums for Buzz and Cracker comics.
Arguably Ken's biggest work was that of drawing Desperate Dan in The Dandy between 1983 and 2007 before the comic book was revamped with 1940's reprints. For the last few years of its existence, he also drew the front cover illustration for Classics from the Comics. Until 2012 he drew Minnie the Minx from The Beano, in a style reminiscent of original artist Leo Baxendale.
Ken has since retired from professional drawing.